Monday, May 4, 2009

This is Mallory right after she was born. She had a lot of vernix on face. I did too when I was born.

Here I am resting after I finally got my epidural. My nurse wanted me to rest for an hour since my baby was facing "sunny side up" and she needed to turn to make her delivery much easier. And sure enough she did turn all on her own.
John and I arrived at the hospital Friday April 24 at 6:30 am. My contractions started at around 12 am that morning and by the time we got to the hospital I could barely walk. I actually had to have a wheelchair to get to my room because the pain was so intense. And then this nurse coordinator tried to tell me that she didn't think I was in labor and that they were probably going to send me back home with some pain medication. I was so mad about that because I was in so much pain from the back labor because our baby was facing the wrong way. I seriously felt like my back was going to break in half. And my water was ruptured so that should have been a clear sign for that nurse that I was in labor. So that nurse said that she would check me again in an hour and see if I made any progress. One hour later she came back and checked me and I was dilated to 3 almost a 4 and I more of my water had broke so then she believed me. I kept on asking for my epidural which I didn't get until about 8:45 am. I was in so much pain by then. I was very loud and vocal with each contraction because they were getting very strong. I think I scared the nurse because she hurried out of the room to see what was taking so long for the epidural. So I finally got my epidural and once it started working I didn't feel any pain, just pressure from the contractions. The rest of labor and the delivery was a piece of cake. I am so happy that I was able to get an epidural! I was fully dilated by 11 am but the nurse wanted me to rest to see if our baby would turn and sure enough she did. At 12 pm I started pushing but I did rest between some contractions since heart rate dropped a few times. Baby Mallory was born at 1:08 pm. She weighed 6 lbs. 7 oz. and was 19 inches long.

No comments: