Thursday, July 7, 2011

Physical Therapy

I have been having some back problems the past two weeks and decided to go see a Physical Therapist to address these issues. I didn't know what was going on, but my right hip looked like this. It was very painful and made it hard to get normal everyday things done, especially carrying around my girls. I initially went to my family doctor and had x-rays done last week, and took home some pain medication. The x-rays showed a right curve in the lower lumbar region of my spine which could be a result of my hip being out of place, or it could be a different issue yet to be addressed. My physical therapist said that my right hip is posterior, and forward facing when it shouldn't be. Apparently the pelvis isn't suppose to be too flexible (besides during childbirth) and mine is causing this imbalance. Most likely this is caused by my pregnancy/delivery with Aubrey. I had a lot of back pain the last 4-5 weeks of my pregnancy when she dropped into my pelvic cavity and I didn't get it checked out then. That's where I went wrong because if I had gotten checked out then they could have fixed the problem before it turned into this. I wish I would have known that. What our bodies go through for our children is just amazing to me.

On Tuesday when I went to the physical therapist my right leg was about an inch longer than the other one because of my hip being out. She then popped my hip back in where it should be with a few good exercises, and by the next day it was out again. I went back to her on Thursday and she tried again, it still isn't perfect, but much better than it was. Keeping it where it suppose to be is the hard part. She suggested some exercises for me to do at home, and told me to avoid twisting, and bending on my sides, only lifting light objects directly in front of me. That's going to be  hard to follow, but I want to get better soon so I'll do what it takes to get there. How we'll fix it is by aligning the hip where it's suppose to be and then strengthening the muscles surrounding it to keep in place. She also suggested a good massage to help relieve the pain from the muscle spasms. I like that idea.
John has been great about helping me out with the girls and the housework which has made this much easier on me.  I don't know how long this will take to get it resolved (I'm sure several more trips to the physical therapist are involved), but hopefully not too long, however in the meantime my heating pad is my best friend.

No comments: