I'm going to start off by saying that I can't wait for spring to arrive already! John and I have never been huge fans of the months January and February mostly because they are cold, snowy, dreary, and filled with cold/flu viruses and this year add on a month long inversion here in the Salt Lake Valley which made us all quite sick. It seems like the entire month of January and the first part of February we were constantly sick, which then caused painful flare-ups for me due to my Hashimoto's Disease, it was truly awful and that's putting it mildly.
To make matters even worse for us in January, Aubrey broke her elbow. I was at work on a Tuesday night and when I called home to check on John and the girls he said that we needed to take Aubrey to Primary Children's Hospital. He said that the girls decided to go jump on our bed and Aubrey then fell off and landed on her right side. She continued to cradle it and would cry whenever she moved it. So I left work and we drove to Primary Children's. The waiting room was full but we were triaged to the front of the line since Bree's injury was a potential broken bone. The doctor came in and assessed her and thought that it just might be out of place. She then popped it back in but she still wouldn't use it. So we waited awhile to see if she would. As time passed she still wouldn't move it. The doctor decided to get a set of x-rays but didn't see any broken bones. So we waited some more and she still wouldn't use it. At this point I was starting to get frustrated because I knew that something had to have been broken or else she wouldn't be acting this way. I kept my cool though even though I was exhausted and dealing with a Hashimoto's flare-up. The doctor then ordered another set of x-rays and on this set she could see where the elbow was broken. Then they wrapped her arm in a soft cast and put it in a sling and we were told to follow up in a week at the fracture clinic. We arrived at Primary Children's Hospital around 9pm and didn't leave there until about 1:30am. John and I went to bed at 2am and I was suppose to be at work at 7am that next morning but I was too exhausted so I called in and said that I would be a few hours late.
Here's Bree with her soft cast and sling on. Bree's probably thinking "Oh, no!"
Mallory was such a great big sister! She really tried to help her little sister feel better and tried hard to cheer her up.
After we followed up at the Fracture Clinic we found out that Bree needed a hard cast for 3 weeks. We picked out a purple one and as you can see this cast didn't slow her down one bit.
Her digits still worked just fine. Here she is trying to call her momma at work.
Bree played and played as if nothing was wrong. Just a side note here but Bree is not potty trained, she just wanted to be like her big sister and try on Mallory's new Minnie Mouse underwear. I think she has three pairs on over her diaper in this picture. Too funny!
Mallory was pretending to be a superhero by wearing her underwear on the outside of her clothes. I love her imagination!
Here we are at the fracture clinic where Bree got her cast off. She wore a cast for a total of 4 weeks. I'm sure glad that's over with because the sponge baths were not very fun for either of us, but we are grateful that she did not need surgery. Now we are just waiting for those medical bills to filter in. And of course this happens since I had to change my insurance plan to the high deductible plan since I couldn't afford my previous insurance plan. Oh the joys of being a grown-up!







No comments:
Post a Comment