Thursday, July 29, 2010

Not What I had In Mind For This Year's 4th of July...

This years 4
th of July was not what I had in mind. I purposely made sure that when we bought our plane tickets that we would be in Michigan on the 4th of July. I wanted to show John all of the neat festivities that went on in my small little town of Dorr, Michigan where I grew up. I have such fond memories of all of those fun 4th of July's growing up. Our 4th would always start with the Dorr parade in the morning, there was even one year I rode my pony in the parade. Then after the parade we would check out the festivities at the park. There would be food, games, rides, and concerts which was always a fun adventure for the little kids. It was nice for the adults/parents too because they would bump into people that they hadn't seen all year. Then after we got too tired and hot at the park we would head on over to grandma and grandpa's house for a picnic. And at our grandparents house there was usually a bunch more family members to mingle with. Then we would just hang out and wait for dusk for the fireworks to begin. The kids would always go through a ton of sparklers before the actual fireworks began.

That is what I was hoping to show John. Well at least a glimpse of it anyway. I know that some things are different such as my grandpa no longer being with us, my parents are divorced, and I'm just not a kid anymore, but I hoping to show John the small town festivities and what it's like to be a country folk. You see I grew up in the country and I look forward to seeing the big tractors and horses in the parades, to John it was weird to see that because that's not what he's use to. But I'm not too sure about the parades here in Utah because they're not what I'm use to. John has said that they don't typically have those things in the parades out here. Well I was unable to show John the whole Dorr 4th of July because there was a bunch of construction going on in Dorr which caused them to cancel their 4th of July festivities. I was so sad and disappointed because this was the one year that we would be up there for their festivities. I don't remember Dorr ever really having construction, at least not construction like that. The roads were all torn up. Well I guess it just goes to show that I have to create new memories and traditions for the 4th of July out here in Utah where I live. Things are always changing and I have come to realize that. I'm still sad and disappointed, but I'm excited to celebrate the 4th of July next year with new traditions and an opportunity to create new lasting memories with my sweet little family.



No comments: