Friday, March 26, 2010


Family Home Evening

This week it was my turn to plan our family home evening and I chose to give our lesson on an article that I found in the September 2009 Ensign titled "What Was The Best Marriage Advice You Ever Received?"
Here are a couple of things that stood out to me:

Crystal Taggart from Washington wrote, " I had received plenty of good advice on marriage through my 20 years of observing my parents. As my mom watched science fiction movies with my dad (even though she preferred musicals), I learned about putting my spouse's wants before my own. Watching my dad consistently open doors for my mom taught me to always treat my spouse with consideration and respect. In seeing my parents go on dates-walking together or simply talking somewhere away from children- I learned that continued courtship is important, even if time and money are short. I learned that the surest way to enjoy an eternal marriage is for both partners to stay close to the Savior."

John Fullmer from Utah wrote, "Never let a day go by without telling your spouse, "I love you."

Suzanne Affleck from Nevada wrote, "If both husband and wife commit to putting the other's needs first, selfishness is taken out of the equation."

Elizabeth Bliss from South Carolina wrote, "My husband and I have discovered that love grows in a similar way to flowers and plants. The more cultivation and work we put into our relationship, the more beauty and bounty we get in return."

And lastly Nicole Larkin from Kentucky wrote, " Both of us know that we'll say only positive things about each other to outside parties. There have been times when we could have easily turned from one another or turned to our parents before turning to each other. But by keeping our marriage within our marriage, we find that we want to share our ups and downs with each other. By turning to each other and then together, turning to the Lord, our marriage has become stronger, we have more easily faced our trials, and the precious moments we share have become far more meaningful."

And our Activity was a fun one called

"Snapshot"

Find a photograph or a snapshot from your wedding that is a duplicate or that you don't want to save. Cut it between the bride and groom like two puzzle pieces, then each of you write a thank you note on the back of the puzzle piece with you on it.
Express your appreciation to one set of parents for everything they did to help make the big day so wonderful. When you are done, send the two pieces in two separate envelopes. Be sure to include a note in one of the envelopes that says, "We couldn't have come together without you."
You might want to photocopy the photo first, then you'll have two matching photos and you can thank both sets of your parents.

I forgot to take a picture of my finished product with the puzzle pieces that I made, but we sent our puzzle pieces to my Grandma Dexter because I lived with her while I was engaged and she was such a tremendous help. I don't know what I would have done without her. She was with me when I picked out my wedding dress, she threw me a bridal shower, she helped me make my invitations, she made my flowers,
and even though she is not LDS she drove me to meet with the stake president so that I could get my recommend signed. I know that was difficult for her to do but I truly appreciate it!, She also helped with so much more, I could go on and on. Thank you so much Grandma!

My Grandma LeValley was also a big help. Since my dress was a strapless one she helped me sew a jacket that I could wear with it. She also let me borrow her car every Sunday so that I could drive to church. If it weren't for her I couldn't have had a temple wedding. She made it possible for me to attend church and get my temple recommend. Unfortunately she passed away shortly before I got married but I know that she was there on that day in spirit.


And for dessert I made delicious Chocolate Milkshakes. I actually got the idea from work because sometimes a patient will order a carnation instant breakfast milkshake. So I bought some chocolate carnation instant breakfast packets at the store and mixed that up in the blender with a little bit of milk and then I used frozen yogurt to try and keep it somewhat healthy (we use ice cream at work). It's very tasty and the carnation instant breakfasts contain plenty of good vitamins.



No comments: