A few months ago I put together a fun Family Home Evening for us. John was actually working late that night so it was just me and my girls. I stumbled across this fun idea on Pinterest and knew that I wanted to try it. Especially since I've been wanting to find fun and creative ways to teach my girls about the many Book of Mormon stories.
I bought this fun little "Samuel The Lamanite" figurine at Seagull Book.
The girls and I had fun assembling a wall made from Rice Krispies where Samuel could call the Nephites unto repentance. Nephi, without concern for his own position, or safety, boldly declares the truth.
The Nephites did not want to hearken unto repentance and tried to shoot him with arrows, but the Lord protected him and he was not killed by the wicked Nephites. The girls and I put marshmallows on the ends of some toothpicks and launched them at Samuel but of course he couldn't be knocked down because he was being protected by the Lord, and I had him stuck in the rice krispies pretty good. We had a lot of fun and this is a lesson that I'll probably repeat several times as they grow up.
I ended the Family Home Evening for the girls at this point. Then John and I continued by listening to this podcast on iTunes called "Conversations: A Mormon Channel Original". Conversations features interviews with people of interest to the LDS community—General Authorities, Auxiliary leaders, and faithful Latter-day Saints.
I ended the Family Home Evening for the girls at this point. Then John and I continued by listening to this podcast on iTunes called "Conversations: A Mormon Channel Original". Conversations features interviews with people of interest to the LDS community—General Authorities, Auxiliary leaders, and faithful Latter-day Saints.
The interview I listened to was conducted
by Sister Sheri Dew interviewing Elder Dallin H. Oaks and Sister Kristen
Oaks. Sister Dew commented that Elder Oaks seemed very bold, clear, and direct, yet kind
in how he teaches principles of the gospel. She asked Elder and Sister
Oaks to comment on how Elder Oaks is able to speak with such clarity, boldness, and fearlessness.
In paraphrasing Sister Oaks' response she said that as an Apostle of the Lord, he's called to speak the TRUTH, especially
in these times of great darkness. It is difficult for people to hear,
and it will become more difficult to hear as time goes on. He, and all the leaders of the Church, are worried for the welfare of souls. He'll be a spokesman for the Lord because he carries it in his heart.
Elder Oaks stated that he is most worried to do what is right, and not
much worried about pleasing other people (audience, peers, or anyone
else). He's only worried about pleasing the Lord. "I
want to know what He wants me to do, and I don't have much concern
about my own position or positioning myself for my own personal
advantage." When he has had opposition to some of the things he's taught, that has not bothered him. "I'm just concerned about whether I've done what the Lord wants me to do, and done it as well as it can be done by me."
Our modern day prophets are no different.
They are just as courageous (if not more), and there is no doubt in my
mind that they are sent to declare truth to us and the world for the Lord, Jesus Christ.


No comments:
Post a Comment